Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Being Tasmanian

So apparently Rodney Croome has a blog. I've only had a quick read, but from what I've seen it looks like there's some really interesting stuff there. I particularly liked this article, all about Tasmanian cultural cringe, the streams of young people who leave the state everyday, and learning not to be embarrassed by your state.

Moving away for uni has made me realise that being Tasmanian is a very different experience to being Victorian or a Queenslander or from New South Wales. I don't know whether you would call them issues or problems or whatever, but there's a whole different set of somethings that comes with being Tasmanian. Not always good - see Rodney Croome's comments on Tasmanian cringe - but not always that bad, either. It's taken me a while to start to be proud of the state I'm from, but I think I'm getting there.

Slowly, but it's coming. :)

No comments: