Friday, September 16, 2005

Book meme!

Yeah, so I'm a sucker for a good meme. Also, I don't want to do work, or job applications.

So! Book meme:
1. What are you reading right now?
A heartbreaking work of staggering genius by Dave Eggers, and random short stories from McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales, edited by Michael Chabon.
2. Longest book you’ve ever read?
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix would actually be up there. Even though I only made it half-way through Rohan Mistry's A Fine Balance, the book's so bloody long that half of it qualifies as a hell of a lot.
3. Strangest title of a book that you’ve read?
A heartbreaking work of staggering genius is pretty strange, but cool.
4. Stupidest ending of a book you’ve read?
The end of Tess of the D'Urbervilles. The book was crap all the way through, but the ending was just fucking ridiculous. Stonehenge! I ask you...
5. Which literary character have you related to the most?
Mary Russell from Laurie R King's series of books. She's tall.
6. Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction?
Fiction.
7. Did you have a series of children’s/young adult books that you once enjoyed?
There's the Madeline books of course. All the Roald Dahl books, although I guess that's not really a series. I remember reading A.A. Milne books (or having them read to me), especially the poems. Mr Men!
8. Can you enjoy reading the source book after seeing the screen adaptation?
Yep. I don't like going the other way round though - reading the book and then seeing the movie.
9. Have you ever read a novelization of a movie or TV show?
Um, yes. Star Trek books are my guilty pleasure.
10. Book that "turned you on" the most, erotically speaking?
This is a very weird question that I don't have an answer for.
11. Is there a real-life person that you’ve read more than one book about?
I don't think so actually, unless you except the premise of 'the game', that Sherlock Holmes was a real person.
12. Book that everyone’s read but you?
Everything and anything by Tolkein? My Shakespeare is pretty limited too.
13. Favorite "classic" writer/novelist?
Err... Can Sir Arthur Conan Doyle count as a classic?
14. Favorite contemporary novelist (let's say 1950's on)?
PD James, Laurie R King, Alan Paton, Val McDermid
15. Favorite short story writer?
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I never liked the Holmes 'long stories' (The Sign of Four, Hounds of the Baskervilles etc.) as much as the short ones.
16. Favorite columnist/journalistic writer?
I have no idea. Phillip Adams I suppose, but he's got too bitter and twisted even for me recently. But I still have the column he wrote after the republic referendum stuck up on my wall at home.
17. Favorite poet?
Don't have one. Never really got into poetry, I must confess.
18. Favorite guilty pleasure book or series?
Star Trek books, alright!
19. Favorite book by written by a famous actor or musician?
Steve Martin's books are wonderful, especially Shopgirl.
20. Author whose work you once enjoyed but no longer do?
PD James' books are not as good as they once were, but I still hold out hope.

1 comment:

spy said...

Damn these quizs, so good for procrastinating!

1. What are you reading right now?
Nothing, but ready to start some PAtrick White

2. Longest book you’ve ever read?
Lord of the Rings is sizeable, so I suppose that is the longest.

3. Strangest title of a book that you’ve read?
Love in the time of Cholera is a strange title. But it is also among those 'profound' kind of titles, full of meanings in themselves. Eyeless in Gaza by Huxley is also a strange title.

4. Stupidest ending of a book you’ve read?
.... Can't think of one, so I'll just say that Divine Wind is the shittest book ever.

5. Which literary character have you related to the most?
Fermina Daza from Love in the Time of Cholera. Like my grandmother.

6. Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction?
Both are fine.

7. Did you have a series of children’s/young adult books that you once enjoyed?
I agree with Roald Dahl. And there was the Goosebumps series, and of course the Gizmo and Round the Twist stuff.

8. Can you enjoy reading the source book after seeing the screen adaptation?
It depends after I have read the book and seen the movie.

9. Have you ever read a novelization of a movie or TV show?
No.

10. Book that "turned you on" the most, erotically speaking?
No. I have never read a Mills and Boons.

11. Is there a real-life person that you’ve read more than one book about?
No.

12. Book that everyone’s read but you?
Great Expectations by Dickens. Everyone seems to have read that.

13. Favorite "classic" writer/novelist?
Shakespeare?

14. Favorite contemporary novelist (let's say 1950's on)?
Garcia Marquez

15. Favorite short story writer?
Don't read many short stories.

16. Favorite columnist/journalistic writer?
Gore Vidal is sort of a columnist (in as much as he is not, though he is an 'essayist')

17. Favorite poet?
TS Eliot, who else. And Robert Frost is cool.

18. Favorite guilty pleasure book or series?
None.

19. Favorite book by written by a famous actor or musician?
Billy Connelly's bio by his wife is cool.

20. Author whose work you once enjoyed but no longer do?
None.

Well, I seem a bit boring actually after that!