Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Naturam Primum Cognoscere Rerum

I'm finding the wikipedia list of university mottos quite fascinating. Some of them are lovely: I'm particularly fond of "From Mystery Without a Dawn to Triangles of Light" from the Autonomous University of Campeche in Mexico, and the University of Chicago's "Let knowledge grow from more to more; and so be human life enriched". Even the ANU's is quite nice - "First, to know the nature of things."

Some, however, are just stupid. Case in point: The University of Canberra, with "New Intelligence." I've seen that on bus billboards before, but I just thought it was a marketing slogan, not the actual university motto. Stupid UC.

And then some are plain weird. I think my favourite is Saarland University in Germany, which has as its motto, "Eating well is essential." Huh?

No comments: