- Bees Overseas: How do spelling contests work in other countries?
- Erotic Services 101: When is a massage more than a massage?
- Should I Snort My Dad?: The dangers of inhaling a cremated parent. (Apparently it's only dangerous "if you make a habit of it.")
- I like this one mostly just for the title - What Would Jesus Smoke?: The Christian doctrine on bong hits.
- I Mailed a Letter to Paris...Who pays the French to deliver it?
- Does James Bond Have a License To Kill?: The rules and regulations of British intelligence, explained.
- What Are the Protests Like at Gallaudet?: Chants and cheers in American Sign Language. (Gallaudet is a university for the Deaf in Washington, DC. There were large-scale protests there last year.)
- Pin the Tail on the Dolphin: How to attach a prosthetic flipper. (Special bonus material: Mine-hunting dolphins!)
- How Heavy Is a 500-Pound Bomb?: Six hundred and six pounds.
- Why Do They Club Seals?: Can't they just shoot them?
- How Did Airbus Ace Its Airplane Evacuation Test?: There were only 33 injuries.
- What Does a Chinese Keyboard Look Like?: How they type in the PRC.
- This is George Bush. Is Anders Rasmussen Available?: How world leaders make phone calls.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
I'm a huge fan of Slate's Explainer section, which provides answers to all kinds of random and bizarre questions, as well as the slightly puzzling, everyday kind. Some of my favourites: