Sunday, June 13, 2004

Cry...

I've been re-reading parts of Cry, the Beloved Country, because, well, it beats writing my European history essay.

I love this book, seriously, seriously love. Every time I read it I cry, and I've read it at least 4 times. And how can someone not love it with passages like this:
For it is the dawn that has come, as it has come for a thousand centuries, never failing. But when that dawn will come, of our emancipation, from the fear of bondage and the bondage of fear, why, that is a secret.
Or of course this one:
Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be too moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much.
That's all I have to say really - just wanted to post those couple of quotes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are good quotes, I'm crying, maybe its just because I'm sad...