Tuesday, May 10, 2005

SmartDraw is evil

The next time any of you are looking for a good free program with which to draw data flow, entity-relationship or UML diagrams, I would strongly recommend against downloading SmartDraw, a really really evil piece of software. I go to print out my pretty DFD, and it tells me that (1) I can only print 3 times with the evaluation version of the program, and (2) it splashes enormous ugly logos ('watermarks') all over my page!

So yeah, SmartDraw sucks. Just so you know. Because I know a lot of you are in fact in the market for a good free program with which to draw software engineering diagrams...

3 comments:

Tim Lisle said...

Have you tried Microsoft Visio, I know it's stupid suggesting a microsoft product to an IT student, but it is actually quite good, if you can get your hands on a copy.

Mads said...

Mmm, one of the other guys in my group has Visio, but he had problems getting the right symbols that we needed - pay $600 for a product and you still can't draw a simple process symbol in a data flow diagram. I ended up using ConceptDraw, which is actually pretty cool, and a lot easier to use than SmartDraw, which Is Evil.

So yeah, the next time any of you go looking for a diagram program, try out ConceptDraw!

randyleepublic said...

We bought the POS. It has no help files. It has retarded "Training" where they mentions menus that don't exist. What a waste of money.