Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Voices in the movies

A great article about the All-Time Top 100 Voices in the Movies. I've decided that I have a 'thing' for voices, if that makes sense - I've had some lecturers who can make talking about watching paint dry sound like the most interesting thing in the world, just because they have absolutely incredible voices. I don't agree with all the names on this list - what's with putting Woody Allen at number 31?! - but there's some I definitely agreed with when I read them (Patrick Stewart, Lauren Becall, Hugo Weaving - "Mister Anderson..."), and some of the comments are pretty funny: "Harrison Ford's vaguely tired and annoyed voice makes us also hate snakes", "Nervous, with an "I told ya so" subtext, Jeff Goldblum sounds like your college physics professor after a week-long bender." I have to protest about the absence of Jeremy Irons from the list, a man who I literally could listen to all day.

Also a good article about how it's harder for women in IT and engineering than men. One of my (male) IT lecturers was asking me last week why it is that females don't go into computing. He couldn't seem to grasp why it's not an 'attractive career', and I suppose it's pretty difficult to explain to someone. I know I'm getting sick of being regarded as the stupid girl who is also (horror of all horrors) also studying arts courses - she must be one crazy freak! Damn stupid computer geeks - my coding skills might not be as l33t as yours, but at least I can write an essay and use a library, fuckers.

No comments: