Thursday, March 16, 2006

The comfort of home

I have been to four funerals in my entire life. Two of them have been this year, and one of them was yesterday in Launceston, which is where I will be until Tuesday next week. I find the entire idea of funerals rather strange and interesting, but I don't really want to talk about it now, so I'll just say that it was a nice service, it was sad, and that any man who chooses to have Monty Python's 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' at his funeral is a man this world will greatly miss.

The organisation required so that I could leave Canberra a couple of days early (I was actually supposed to come down here on Friday morning anyway) was difficult and annoying, and Monday wasn't a particularly good day. At one point I read a truly lovely and kind email from one of my lecturers and burst into tears, simply because, I think, I wasn't expecting it. My other lecturers have also been wonderful, and these few days away from uni and Canberra and college should be a good opportunity to kind of recharge and get myself organised and ready for the rest of the term.

So yes. This week hasn't been one of the greatest on record, but I now have until Tuesday to soak up the comfort of being at home, of weather that isn't a boring 30-bloody-degrees every-bloody-day (I think we're about to get a big thunderstorm here!), and of that wonderful time-wasting apparatus, pay tv. I have lots of comments on the sheer weirdness of the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, but right now I think I'm going to go and watch some West Wing. There are certainly worse places to be right now than curled up on our very comfy couch, in the middle of a thunderstorm, with some West Wing...

No comments: