Thursday, February 26, 2004

Angry

Oh dear. So my new year's resolution to update this more regularly is obviously going splendidly. Since I last wrote I've moved states and started university, things which probably should've merited a mention here.

But that's not what has 'inspired' me to write today. What's inspired me to write is George W. Bush's push for an amendment to the American constitution banning same-sex marriages.

Tasmania legalised gay 'partnerships' at the start of the year, and our society has not fallen apart. In fact most people seem to have noticed it, thought "oh ok, that's nice", and moved on with their lives. Which is how it should be when two people who love each other get married.

I looked up the speech that Bush made on the issue at Yahoo, and then had a look at the comments on the story. One of them caught my eye: it advocated gays wearing pink triangles so that they could not "accidentally get married. This will enable us to protect our kids when they meet gay schoolteachers, gay priests, and gay daycare providers."

And then comes the scariest comment of all: "The Germans had the right idea in the 1930s and 1940s."

I don't think there's much you can say about a comment like that.

Wil Wheaton says it much better than I ever could in his latest post, so I'm not going to get into the nitty-gritty of the argument here. I think it's enough to say that this latest development in the Presidency of Bush is incredibly scary and worrying, and that we all, Americans or not, must do everything we can to ensure that he does not regain the White House in 2005.

No comments: