Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday, ANU!

On this day 60 years ago, the Australian National University was created by an act of Federal Parliament, with a mandate to undertake "postgraduate research and study both generally and in relation to subjects of national importance." The university might have changed quite a bit since then (it now accepts undergrads, for one thing!), but in my (completely unbiased) opinion, it is still the peak research university in Australia, and one of the best in the world.

My friends have been known to mock me in the past for my rather extreme enthusiasm, and well, love, for the ANU, but I have absolutely no problem in telling anyone who will listen how absolutely fabulous this university truly is. I am supremely lucky to have a job where I actually get paid to tell people this on a regular basis, but I would do it for free anyway. I mean, how can you not love a uni that throws a giant free birthday party for 2000 people?!

So here's to the ANU - may the next 60 years be just as wonderful!

No comments: